Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"if someone offers you some sugar, he should eat it"

the food: Nantucket Cranberry Pie
the song: "Sweet Treat" Smog

This cool fall weather is doing a number on my food cravings. All I've been wanting lately is warm and fatty foods in big portions. Just check out the things I'm posting on my Tumblr. Really- where did all the vegetables go? All I see is cheese. I love this cool weather, but I've still go some swimsuit wearing to go...in 1 week, we're heading to Cabo San Lucas for a family wedding. Funny thing is,
I've been getting lots of compliments lately. Maybe I need to not beat myself up for the savory and sweet fall foods and just go with it. This fall, satisfied is the new skinny. :)

I made this fantastic dessert for Sunday brunch with my folks. This is the third or fourth time I've made it--all the previous times I had tried to make it somewhat healthier. 1/2 whole wheat flour (ok, actually, just not quite as flakey)...less sugar...less butter...even one with half maple syrup (no dice). This time, though, I made it the way the original recipe called for- with all the butter and sugar flakely and beautifully intact. It will be a while before I experiment with this recipe again...it is almost perfect. I mean come on- it is dessert. This recipe is so short and simple. Make it with cranberries, while they are available. Once they aren't, you could use blueberries or (as my mom suggested) cherries.

Nantucket Cranberry Pie

2 cups fresh cranberries, halved
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
2 eggs
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon almond extract

Spread the cranberries, walnuts, and 1/4 cup sugar in the bottom of a cake pan. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl to form a batter. Pour the batter over the cranberry mixture and bake it for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

This recipe is adapted from Cooking Books, who received a shout-out on thekitchn for this very dessert.



Mmmmm- looking at these pictures makes me wish I had some left. But it went quickly. No one has ever turned down leftovers, and most I've served it to go back for seconds. That's fall food at its best.

~eeg

No comments:

Post a Comment