Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"i want to live for a living"

the food: Thanksgiving prep
the song: "My 5 Year Plan" Listener
*


Well, tomorrow is the big day. We will feed 8 people for Thanksgiving dinner. Plus 3 extras for before-dinner drinks and appetizers. I've been brainstorming about the menu for weeks (not quite 5 years, but you get the point). Now the time is finally here where we get to stop thinking and start doing. But first... indulge my musings about the idea of food for a little bit longer before I get my hands dirty and actually make something to eat.

We'll see how tomorrow goes, but Thanksgiving may well become my new favorite holiday. There is so much tradition associated with the day. When we decided to invite people for dinner, my initial plan was to do a butternut squash lasagna and a big salad. The food was seasonal but not traditional. When we sent out the invitation, I quickly realized that wasn't going to fly. The first responses I received were "Awesome! I'll bring green bean casserole!" and "YES! I make the best mac and cheese!" One guest asked if he could make a turkey (my answer? an enthusiastic "yes!..just not in my oven, please.")

Since the menu has been finalized, I realize how excited I am to have a traditional meal in our home- turkey and all. Our table will be surrounded by a younger crowd, and e
ven though we're all skipping our traditional family meal for various reasons, we are influenced by foods of home as we create our own traditions. I mean, is it really Thanksgiving without the stuffing?

Not stuffing, I know. But cranberries are traditional, too.

Ok, thanks for that. I feel better. Now, without further ado- our Thanksgiving menu!
****
Appetizer
Brie Stuffed Mushrooms
Assorted Nuts

Pita Chips & Hummus


Main Dish

Shiner Brined Turkey (via our friend Joe)

Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash


Side Dishes

Green Bean Casserole
Stuffing
Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Mushroom Gravy

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Macaroni & Cheese

Sweet Potatoes

Cranberry Jalapeno Relish

Rolls


Dessert

Caramelized Pear Pie

Sweet Potato Pie

****

My sous chef.

Ok, enough artfully arranging my groceries. I'm ready to eat. Happy Thanksgiving! Stuff yourself silly and enjoy the heck out of everyone you spend the day with. We all have so much to be thankful for.

~eeg


* We love our friend, Dan Smith (a.k.a. "Listener" a.k.a. "Man Fest arm wrestling champion.") Check out what real music folk have to say about Listener here and here. And watch that video.

No comments:

Post a Comment