Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"it was a hit"

the food: Jalapeno-Cranberry Relish
the song:"Your Mother Should Know" The Beatles

Ok, ok- just one more Thanksgiving post and I'll be ready to let it go. I've already moved on in my mind, but this one is just too good to not share. It is the only recipe I was asked for at our Thursday feast. I'll share it here, because a) I have to type it out anyway, and b) it another really good, updated version of a classic to spice up your table.

Are you wondering, "why are those seeds brown?" Don't worry, they are homegrown and that happens sometimes. Plus, don't they just have more personality that way? Anyway...this recipe is from my mom, and this relish is kind of her specialty. It was my first attempt at cranberry anything and I was really happy with how it came out. I followed the instructions exactly (well...I substituted juice from a very sour clementine for the lime) and it was the perfect texture and flavor. She's onto something with the "don't stir" notes, by the way- my cranberries cooked just right.

Jalapeno-Cranberry Relish


12 oz. fresh (best) or frozen (okay) whole cranberries

1 cup water

1 cup sugar

4-5 small green onions, chopped (I use some of the green tops)

Handful of fresh cilantro (washed, dried, and chopped)

1 or 2 (to taste) jalapenos (seeded and chopped)

1/2 fresh lime (about 1 TBLS juice)


Put water and sugar on medium high heat to boil. Stir to dissolve sugar. When water starts to
boil, dump washed cranberries in. Don't stir! Let liquid come to a boil again, then turn the heat down to medium and let cook for 10 minutes. (I always balance a lid on top of the pot--without covering the pot completely--so that it has a dome but allows heat to escape. This helps the cranberries on top to get nice and cooked.) Don't stir! When the time is up, the liquid should be thick and kind of like jelly. Remove from heat. Dump cranberry mixture into bowl and put bowl on a cooling rack so that the pot cools all around.

Wait at least an hour so that the mixture can cool completely and set up properly. Then
add the rest of the ingredients, stir, and refrigerate.

This can be done in advance and will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
This relish only gets better with a little time, so hope for leftovers. Our lazy after-Thanksgiving Sunday was rounded out by a killer all-leftover meal of potato pancakes topped with this relish and goat cheese. Yum yum yum.

~eeg

P.S. I'm still grinning from ear-to-pointy-ear after seeing Fantastic Mr. Fox last night. It is so cute and so Wes Anderson-y. I agree with the suggestion that it is a foodie movie- boozy apple cider, stuffed poultry, and pastries play a big role in the story. And Bill Murray plays a badger. Does it get any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment