Thursday, July 29, 2010

"i feel like a raindrop"

the food: Blueberry Peach Crisp
the song: "Raindrop" Tripping Daisy

Rainy summer days, how I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Do I love you more because you've kept my garden alive and thriving, despite my promises to ignore it? Or do I love you because the way you make me feel? Homey and quiet and calm. Like all I need is a good book (this one, right now) and a cat in my lap (this one, right now) and the rest of life will take care of itself.


I think I love you most because our house is so much nicer with the windows open. The smell of rain comes in and the gray sky matches our walls. The sounds of rain beats the humming AC anyday (and costs a lot less). Rainy days also makes me want to bake. Something sweet and buttery and delicious. The breeze makes the oven more bearable.


I whipped up this sweet treat out of necessity...a rainy afternoon and one over ripe peach. Lucky for the peach, Texas grown blueberries were on major sale at the grocery store and I had materials leftover from granola makin' a few weeks ago. This crisp is very nice... perfect dessert with ice cream, perfect breakfast with coffee. It couldn't be much easier to make. You could use anything you had on hand for this, really. Extra peach? Throw it into the mix. Cherries that were on sale? Sounds good. Apples? Yes, but I'll have to eat all of that one (apple crisp is my all time favorite.)


The crisp isn't the most decadent, because I reduced the amount of sugar on the fruit and butter in the topping. I was going for something we could eat all week and not feel guilty about. If you want to make this an all out rich dessert, you can increase the butter to a whole stick. Personally, I don't think it needs it- the fruit and topping are really nice on their own. The trick with this topping, regardless of how much butter you decide to use, is to get it nice and crumbly. I wasn't able to do it without mixing it with my hands. If you're mixing it with your hands you'll know when it's the right consistency.


As you can see, this makes a lot of topping. If you want less topping you can decrease the flour and oats to a 1/2 cup. 

Blueberry Peach Crisp

For the fruit:
1 cup peaches, sliced
2 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons sugar

For the topping:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of salt

In the bottom of a buttered pie pan, mix all fruit together and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.

Mix all dry topping ingredients together. Cut room temperature butter into dry ingredients and mix with hands until crumbly. Spread evenly over fruit and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

~eeg

No comments:

Post a Comment