Sunday, August 22, 2010

...

the song: Untitled #1 ("Vaka") Sigur Ros 

I'm currently tearing through Comfort Me With Apples, and I think Ruth Reichl may be one of my new heroes. The more I learn about her, the more I want to know. Even her tweets read like poetry:
"Chilly morning; summer ebbing away. Last night's peach pie, fragile and fragrant on this bright morning. Each bite a tiny farewell."
Reading a book by an author so dedicated to food and writing, it reminds me the importance of inspiration when you are trying to make something of your own, whether that's a good meal or artwork or a silly food blog. It is easy to get into a rut, especially during lazy hot summer days. 

Saturday morning I got up early and worked on untangling my tomato plants. They are huge and lanky these days. Not the prettiest things, kind of out of control. For the last few weeks I haven't really known what to do with them. Every time I think about pulling them up, they burst forth with tiny red juicy cherry tomatoes, saving themselves for another few days. It felt good to give them a little attention, clearing out dead vines and propping up their overwhelmed, bent cages with stakes. The end result is a better looking garden, dirt on my hands, and a good feeling inside.

I feel the same about writing. Every post I set out to write lately has been a false start. So rather than try to create something new today, I'm going to take a moment to remember what inspires me. It takes time to create, and sometimes things start looking a little neglected. Seeking out new things helps me clear out the browning vines.

If you're in need of inspiration, this is where I keep track of things I want to make and articles I run across that make me think. 

~eeg

P.S. The song is the opening track from Sigur Ros' album ( ). It is completely beautiful, unquotable, and my go-to song for a thoughtful quiet morning.

4 comments:

  1. Ruth Reichl! Is my food-writer crush. Have you read Garlic and Sapphires, Emily? It's about her adventures as the NY Times critic, where she reviewed restaurants - IN DISGUISE!

    Also. I totally feel you on "false start" blog posting. Lately I have just been doing picture-heavy posts, b/c the words just feel stuck. But, little corners of the internet like yours, eloquent and real, are the ones that inspire me.

    Xo!
    Tolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Tolly. Garlic & Sapphires is on my Amazon wish list. Now that I have the recommendation, I'm ordering it!

    Talk about inspiration...YOUR blog is the one I visit when I need to be reminded how to speak with an open, honest, and positive voice. Our words will flow better when it isn't 105 outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this blog post, Emily. I needed it. Even though my little blog is just my personal journal for only a few eyes, I feel guilty when I neglect it, and I certainly have neglected it in August. I'm writing this weekend! ab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it! I'm telling you...it's this heat that's been zapping inspiration. And we're not the only ones. I run across a lot of neglected blogs these days. One more reason to look forward to fall! :)

    ReplyDelete