Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"baby, you've got to be more discerning"

the song: "This Modern Love" Bloc Party

I woke up this morning with a plan to clean house, but was quickly distracted by this Serious Eats post about Modernist Cuisine. Now, you know me...I'm wordy, not visual. But these photos stopped me in my tracks. I thought you might enjoy them too.

 I'm a simple girl. My taste in art is questionable at best. But I'll ogle pictures of food all day long. Cooking is truly a beautiful thing. These photos resonate with me because these images actually exist in the kitchen. While cooking, if you take time to notice, you can loose yourself in all kinds of gorgeous moments. 


The best part is that these shots aren't made in Photoshop. Apparently the studio is fairly low-tech and the photographer is just out of art school. The wok picture above was achieved by (wait for it...) cutting a wok in half and then tossing noodles in it. Is that not amazing?


The beautiful 6 volume cookbook is due out next month. I rarely use cookbooks, but would happily have this on my coffee table for the art alone. If you have an extra $500 lying around, you can pre-order your very own copy here. You can also do what I'm doing and dedicate a few minutes of your morning to art appreciation. It might just inspire me to make lunch, too.

~eeg

No comments:

Post a Comment