Sunday, October 11, 2009

"you're sound asleep with the cats as I climb back in bed with you"

the food: Migas Pie
the song: Overlee The Rentals

Laziest day ever. I've been in my pajamas all day long. It is rainy and chilly in Austin...it is still raining now, as a matter of fact...and it was a perfect stay at home and do nothing sort of day. I did manage to make these tasty Beer Bread Pecan Rolls for breakfast, subbing walnuts because that's what I had in the pantry and using a honey wheat home brew for the beer. Other than that, I read, petted cats, watched Glee, and very leisurely washed clothes and kind of cleaned house.

Before the weekend is over and I go back to the kids tomorrow, I wanted to quickly post a recipe so I can feel like I did something today.
Take a minute to prepare yourself. Ok, ready? Now soak up these two delicious words: Migas Pie. Uh huh. A good friend of ours suggested this idea a few weeks ago and I was immediately enthralled by it. In searching for recipes, I was heavily influenced by the migas over at Homesick Texan, and by this hilarious 'guy food by a hot girl' (in this case, Mary Louise Parker who is indeed very hot) section in Esquire. This recipe involves a lot of chopping, so factor all that in when you're thinking about preparation time. Here we go.


Migas Pie

2 jalapenos, diced
½ onion, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
1 roma tomato, diced
½ cup cilantro
6 eggs
1/3 cup milk
7 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese

Heat about 1 teaspoon olive oil in medium skillet. Add onion, peppers, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes and cilantro.
Next (to quote the lovely Mary Louise Parker), “rip seven corn tortillas into scraps the size of a baby's fist, sauté till golden”, and arrange them into a pie crust at the bottom of a pie pan. It is also fun to play around with a lattice crust, so save a few tortillas for that, too. Crack your eggs into a large bowl. Add milk, a little s & p, and whisk. Then stir in sauted vegetables and 1/2 cup cheese. Pour into your tortilla crust, then add your lattice.
Cook for about 45 minutes at 350. After about 30 minutes, pull out the pie and sprinkle remaining cheese on the top. Check the center with a knife to make sure egg is thoroughly cooked. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve with plenty of salsa.

The final product, mere minutes before it was devoured.

Well, I guess my lazy Sunday is drawing to a close. Big week ahead...I'll be planning an special meal for me and the husband this Tuesday. We celebrate our four year anniversary on Thursday, so I've reserved Tuesday as a special meal/special bottle of wine night. I've got some thinking to do about the meal because right now I'm a little stumped. We're also trying to decide where to go out later in the week. Last year we went to Boticelli's and it was amazing, so the bar is set pretty high. But whatever we decide, the whole week is bound to be filled with good food, celebration, and happiness.

~eeg

No comments:

Post a Comment