Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"i want a restorative beer"

the song: "Restorative Beer" The Fiery Furnaces

A few months ago, our good friend got a new job and was looking for a picture for to use in his press release. He encountered a problem...in almost every picture he was holding an alcoholic beverage. It is kind of a hilarious problem to have ("geez, I sure have a lot of fun!") but it got me thinking...


If it ever came to it, I might have that problem too. So I've made it a point lately to put down the drink I'm holding before I pose for a picture. Just something to consider.

As you probably know, I love beer. I love it in the same way I love good food. About a month ago, the Austin beer community took a huge step forward. Our fair city got something that it has been lacking-- an establishment that pays equal attention to beer and food. Black Star Co-Op has been blowing my mind. From the moment you walk in the door, it's clear that these people love beer. They love it so much that they dreamed up an idea for a co-operatively owned brewpub and made it a reality. 


No beer at Black Star bores me. In addition to recently added house beers, drafts are available that highlight local breweries. During my last visit, I sampled two of their house brews, the Double Dee (think sweet- I could drink too many of these) and Recalcitrant Dockhand (think molasses- this one's for sippin'). Both are extremely tasty, solid, and impressive. I also was fortunate enough to have the La Bestia Aimable made by San Antonio's "brewstillery" Ranger Creek. I'm truly at a loss to describe the deliciousness of that beer. Let's just say that I would be a-ok with my picture in the newspaper making kissy faces with a La Bestia.

*Ahem*

As if that wasn't enough, Black Star's huge, ambitious and beautiful menu highlights locally grown, seasonal ingredients. Along with my fish and chips, we also ordered a side of locally grown cauliflower and carrots. Added bonus, they have plenty of options for vegetarians and vegans. I mean, it is a co-op. The best part is that the menu will obviously change and evolve with the season. And that is a pretty exciting thing for pub food.

If you're in Austin and haven't been, please go. Go today. No...seriously. They open at 4. 

~eeg

2 comments:

  1. i have been wanting to go there. maybe i'll finally make the trip; it sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you go let us know! I'm always looking for an excuse to go back. :)

    ReplyDelete